Friday, June 23rd, 2017
SaveAway Travel Insurance
Administrated by: 21st Century Travel Insurance Limited
Underwritten by: The Manufactures Life Insurance Company (Manulife Financial).
24 hours Assistance Center: World Travel Protection
NOTE: SaveAway provides a low-cost, limited coverage alternative to other travel insurance plans. It also provides limited benefits with lower maximums and the savings are passed on to you through lower premiums. There is the possibility that the cost of your claim could exceed your SaveAway Coverage Limit and you would be responsible for any expenses incurred that exceed that limit. If you would like more coverage, 21st Century also offers other products that provide higher Emergency Medical limits and broader benefits.
- Choose Option 1 with a Coverage Limit of up to $50,000 and no deductible, or
- Choose Option 2 with a Coverage Limit of up to $200,000 and a $500 deductible per claim.
- Maximum Eligible Age is 79 and Maximum Trip Length is 60 days
• Emergency Medical maximum benefit: $50,000 ($0 deductible) OR $200,000 ($500 deductible)
• Emergency Medical Attention: Medical care received from a physician in or out of a hospital, the cost of a hospital room (semi-private room when available or an intensive care unit when medically necessary), the services of a licensed private duty nurse while you are in hospital, the rental or purchase (whichever is less) of a hospital bed, wheelchair, brace, crutch or other medical appliance, tests that are needed to diagnose or find out more about your condition, and drugs that are prescribed for you and are available only by prescription from a physician or dentist.
• Ambulance transportation – local ambulance service.
• Expenses related to death from covered medical condition – up to $5,000 to prepare or cremate the body, plus up to $5,000 for burial at place of death or the expenses to return your body back home.
• Expenses to bring you (and your travel companion) home, if recommended by attending physician in case of covered emergency.
• Expenses to return your vehicle home – up to $2,000 charged by a commercial agency to bring your vehicle home in case of a medical emergency.
all applicants must be:
- 79 years of age or less on the issue date as shown on your confirmation,
- a resident of Canada, and
- covered under a government health insurance plan for the entire duration of your trip.
If you are age 55 to 79, in addition to the above, you must meet all eligibility criteria listed in the medical questionnaire for coverage under this policy.
EXCLUSIONS: Your coverage is subject to various exclusions, which are completely set out in the Exclusions section of the policy document. The following, although not an exhaustive list, are some of these exclusions:
21st Century Travel Insurance will not pay any expenses relating to:
• a pre-existing condition that is not stable in the six (6) months before your effective date; and/or,
• your heart condition if, in the six (6) months before your effective date, it has not been stable or you have taken any form of nitroglycerine for the relief of angina pain; and/or,
• your lung condition if, in the six (6) months before your effective date, it has not been stable or you required treatment with oxygen or Prednisone for your lung condition.
Stable, a medical condition for which:
- There have been no new symptoms, existing symptoms have not become more frequent or more severe or there have been no test results showing deterioration; and/or
- A physician has not determined that the condition has become worse; and/or
- A physician (or other medical professional) has not prescribed or recommended a change in medication taken or medical care received for that condition; and/or
- A physician (or other medical professional) has not prescribed or recommended a change in how often the medication is taken or medical care is received for that condition; and/or
- It has not required admission to a hospital and/or you are not awaiting results of further investigation for that medical condition.
PREGNANCY EXCLUSION - Your routine pre-natal care; pregnancy or childbirth, complications of your pregnancy or childbirth when they happen in the 9 weeks before or after the expected date of delivery are not covered. A child who is born after you leave home is excluded from your insurance policy.
- The continued treatment of a medical condition when you have already received emergency treatment for that condition during your trip and our medical advisors determine that your medical emergency has ended.
- An emergency resulting from hang-gliding, rock climbing, mountaineering, parachuting or skydiving or participating in a motorized speed contest
- Professional participation in a sport, snorkeling or scuba-diving, when that sport, snorkeling or scuba-diving is your principal paid occupation.
- Medication, drug or alcohol abuse.
- A mental or emotional disorder (other than acute psychosis) that does not require admission to a hospital.
- Any benefit that must be authorized or arranged in advance by the Assistance Centre when it has given no authorization or made no arrangement for that benefit.
- Suicide; attempted suicide; or an intentional self-inflicted injury whether sane or insane.
- Committing or attempting to commit a criminal act.
- An act of war or act of terrorism. Limited coverage applies with respect to an act of terrorism.
- Any loss resulting from an act of war or an act of terrorism when, before your effective date, a written formal Travel Warning was issued by Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, advising Canadians to avoid all or non-essential travel to that country, region or city.
- Any medical condition you suffer or contract in a specific country, region or city for which Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada has issued a formal Travel Warning, before your departure date, advising Canadians to avoid all or non-essential travel to that specific country, region or city. In this exclusion “medical condition” is limited to the reason for which the formal Travel Warning was issued and includes complications arising from such medical condition.
IN THE EVENT OF A MEDICAL EMERGENCY, YOU MUST CALL THE ASSISTANCE CENTRE IMMEDIATELY: 1-800-785-2113 toll free from Canada or the U.S., or 416-977-2598 collect call from anywhere else. If you do not contact the Assistance Centre in an emergency, you will have to pay 25% of the eligible medical expenses we would normally pay under this insurance. If it is medically impossible for you to call, please have someone call on your behalf. It is your responsibility to verify that the Assistance Centre has been contacted.
To make a claim due to illness or injury during your trip, please call the customer service centre: 1-800-785-2113 toll free Canada/U.S or 416-977-2598.
Your claim must be sent to 21st Century Travel Insurance within 90 days of your loss.
Please, mail all original receipt, bills and invoices (make your own copy) to:
SaveAway Travel Insurance
c/o World Travel Protection
400 University Avenue, 15th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M5G 1S7
If you disagree with the claim decision, the matter will be submitted to arbitration under the arbitration law in the Canadian province or territory where your policy was issued. Legal action to recover a claim must start within 12 months of the date the insurance monies would have been payable if it were a valid claim and be undertaken before courts of the Canadian province or territory where your policy was issued.
You may obtain a refund of premium
a) if you cancel your policy at any time before your departure date; or
b) if you return home before the date you were scheduled to as per your confirmation, and have not had a claim, you may ask for a refund of the premium for the unused days of your trip.
Refunds and cancellations are subject to a $25 administration fee per policy.
Simply contact us to ask for a refund and provide proof of the date you actually returned home.
No refunds are available on any Package or Non-Medical bungle.
To extend your coverage, If you are already on your trip, simply call the Assistance Centre. You may be able to extend your coverage, as long as the total length of your trip, including the extension, does not exceed 60 days and there has been no event that has resulted or may result in a claim against the policy. Any extension is subject to the approval of 21st Century.
ABOUT 21st CENTURY TRAVEL INSURANCE:
21st Century Travel Insurance Limited is a Managing General Agency that provides all types of travel insurance products to individuals and groups across Canada. The head office is in Cobourg, Ontario and all insurance policies are underwritten by Manulife Financial.
Manulife Financial is a leading Canadian-based financial services company, operating worldwide, offering a diverse range of financial protection products and wealth management services. Manulife Financial is the largest life insurance company in Canada, the second largest in North America and the sixth largest in the world based on market capitalization.
Manulife Financial Corporation trades as 'MFC' on the TSX, NYSE and PSE, and under '945' on the SEHK.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The product-related information on this website is for illustration purposes only. For complete benefits, terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions, please see the policy booklet at the download section below. Please read and understand your policy before you travel.
SaveAway Travel Insurance POLICY PDF
Manulife Financial and the block design are registered service marks and trademarks of The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company and are used by it and its affiliates, including Manulife Financial Corporation.