Monday, November 23rd, 2020
COVID-19 UPDATE: COVID-19 is not covered if you are travelling to any country with travel advisory to "Avoid all travel" relating to Covid19 issued by the Canadian government or any claims incurred for CRUISE travel.
Administrated by: TuGo
Underwritten by: Industrial Alliance Insurance and Financial Services Inc.
24h Emergency Assistance Center: Claims at TuGo.
IMPORTANT CONDITION: TuGo COVID-19 Insurance must be purchased with a Single Trip TuGo Emergency Medical plan that’s in effect for the same period of coverage as the COVID-19 plan (before or after departure). This plan cannot be purchased as a top-up policy to another insurance provider’s COVID-19 or emergency medical coverage.
- COVID-19 maximum benefits: $500,000 (after $300 USD deductible per insured per condition or event).
- Hospital Services: semi-private accommodation.
- Physician services.
- Ambulance services: ground, air or sea rescue ambulance and paramedics.
- X-ray examinations and diagnostic laboratory procedures.
- Prescription drugs for a maximum supply for 30 days.
- Private duty nursing services.
- Emergency air transportation: air ambulance, one-way airfare, stretcher, and/or a medical attendant to the nearest appropriate medical facility or to return you to your home province for immediate medical treatment. *
- Return of travelling companion: one-way economy airfare for one travelling companion to return back to the original departure point, if you are returned to Canada under the emergency air transportation or the repatriation benefit. *
- Return of Dependent Children: one-way economy airfare for dependent children travelling with you to return back to the original departure point, if you are returned to your home province under the emergency air transportation or the repatriation benefit. *
- Repatriation (Return of Deceased): In the event of your death during a trip covered under the Policy benefits, the company will pay up to $5,000 for the preparation and return of your body, including the cost of a standard shipping container and one death certificate (excluding the cost of funeral and related expenses or a burial coffin), to your home province.
- Quarantine: Up to $150 per person ($300 per family) per day to maximum of 14 days for meals and accommodation or medical facility, if quarantine or self-isolation is required as a result of a COVID-19 emergency.
- Trip Interruption: If the Canadian Government issues a level 4 travel advisory to “avoid all travel” for COVID-19 while the insured traveller is already on their trip, this benefit includes up to a combined amount of $500 for a one-way economy airfare to return home or the changes fees in lieu and unexpected meals and commercial accommodation. The deductible does not apply to the Trip Interruption benefit.
Some of the benefits need to be pre-approved and arranged by Claims at TuGo. Please read the insurance policy (attached below) for full descriptions and condition of the insurance benefits.
You are eligible for coverage if:
1. You have a worldwide or worldwide excluding USA TuGo emergency medical policy in place for the full duration of your COVID-19 Insurance coverage.
2. You are a Canadian resident.
3. You are not travelling against a physician or other registered medical practitioner’s advice.
4. You have not been diagnosed with a terminal condition.
5. You are not receiving palliative care or palliative care has not been recommended.
6. You have not been diagnosed with COVID-19 on or within the 30 days prior to departure.
7. You have not shown symptoms of COVID-19 on or within the 14 days prior to departure.
TuGo COVID-19 Insurance does not provide coverage for pre-existing conditions; however, the diagnoses of COVID-19 are considered as an isolated cases and not pre-existing conditions. If you’ve been diagnosed with COVID-19 and have since recovered from it but during your trip you contract another isolated case of COVID-19, it will not be considered as a pre-existing condition. A pre-existing condition must meet the following stability periods in order to by covered by this insurance.
You can extend your period of coverage before your policy expires.
An administration fee may be charged in addition to the premium for the additional number of days required.
You must meet the following conditions:
Applicable to All Coverages
1. You have not submitted a claim and have no intent to submit a claim.
2. Your period of coverage has not already expired.
3. Extensions are not available if total trip length exceeds two years from the effective date of the original Policy.
Applicable to Emergency Medical Insurance
1. You have not seen a physician or other registered medical practitioner since your departure date or the effective date of the policy.
2. You are in good health and you do not know of any reason to seek medical attention.
If these conditions haven’t been met, an extension may be authorized at the discretion of TuGo. If an extension has been authorized, there would be no coverage for subsequent claims related directly or indirectly to the condition(s) or symptom(s) for which a claim has been or will be submitted or for which medical treatment was received or required prior to the effective date of the extension.
AUTOMATIC EXTENSIONS TO COVERAGE
At the time the period of coverage ends, your coverage will be automatically extended:
Hospitalization: If you, your family travelling with you or your travelling companion are hospitalized as a result of testing positive for and being diagnosed with COVID-19. The automatic extension will be provided to you for the remaining period of the hospitalization, plus up to seven days after hospital release to recover and/or travel home.
Medically Unfit to Travel: If you, your family travelling with you or your travelling companion are unable to travel on the scheduled return date as a result of testing positive for and being diagnosed with COVID-19 that does not require hospitalization. The automatic extension will be provided to you for up to seven days to recover and/or travel home. In the event of a claim, written documentation must be provided to Claims at TuGo by the attending physician to substantiate the inability to travel home as originally scheduled.
Quarantine: If you, your family travelling with you or your travelling companion are unable to travel on the scheduled return date due to being placed under quarantine as a result of testing positive for and being diagnosed with COVID-19, the automatic extension will be provided to you but shall not exceed the number of days as indicated under the Quarantine benefit.
1. Refunds are not available if a claim has been or will be submitted.
2. When the request for refund is received PRIOR to the effective date of the Policy, a full refund is available.
3. When no travel has taken place and the request for refund is received AFTER the effective date of the Policy, a full refund is available within 10 days of the application date.
In the event of hospitalization, call Claims at TuGo immediately:
From Canada & USA: 1-800-663-0399
From Mexico: 001-800-514-9976 or 01-800-681-8070
Outside N. America & Mexico (global toll-free): 800-663-00399
Worldwide (collect): 604-278-4108
All claims correspondence should be mailed to:
Claims at TuGo
10th Floor, 6081 No. 3 Road
Richmond, BC Canada V6Y 2B2
Notice: Claims will not be considered unless the Claim Form is completed in full and signed by the claimant (or legally authorized representative). If requested by Claims at TuGo a Certificate of Canadian Physician must also be completed. Failure to provide fully completed, original forms will invalidate your claim.
Any cost incurred to obtain documentation required to confirm eligibility of your claim is the responsibility of the claimant.
All documents supporting your claim have to be sent to the insurance company within the 90 days from the date of service.
In addition to the General Exclusions below, the company will not be liable to provide coverage or services, or to pay claims for expenses incurred directly or indirectly as a result of:
1. Any claim incurred if you were diagnosed with COVID-19 on or within the 30 days prior to the date of departure.
2. Any claim incurred if you had any COVID-19 symptoms on or within the 14 days before the date of departure.
3. Any claim incurred for expenses not related to COVID-19.
4. Any claim incurred as a result of a COVID-19 test that is negative and any expenses incurred after a COVID-19 test that is negative.
5. Any claim incurred for any general quarantine mandated by the local government or public authority when travelling to or through a country, region or city. This exclusion doesn’t apply when you are under quarantine after a COVID-19 positive test.
6. A trip that is undertaken against a physician or other registered medical practitioner’s advice.
7. A trip that is undertaken after the diagnosis of a terminal condition.
8. A trip that is undertaken while you are receiving palliative care or after palliative care has been recommended.
9. A sickness for which symptoms were present or medical treatment was received during a temporary visit to your home province during the period of coverage or any sickness wholly or partly, directly or indirectly, related thereto.
10. Any expenses incurred as a result of sickness that originated or was symptomatic during the waiting period.
11. Expenses incurred once the emergency ends and in the opinion of the attending physician or other registered medical practitioner, you are able to travel to your home province for any further medical treatment relating to the sickness that led to the emergency, unless otherwise specified in a benefit.
12. The continued medical treatment, recurrence or complication of a medical condition or related condition, following emergency treatment during your trip, if the company determines that your emergency has ended, unless otherwise specified in a benefit.
13. Expenses incurred for air transportation and any expenses incurred after air transportation, when the air transportation was not arranged by the company.
14. Any sickness or related expenses if the company determines that you should transfer to another facility or could return to your home province for medical treatment, and you choose not to, benefits will not be paid for further medical treatment related to the sickness.
15. An official travel advisory issued by the Canadian government stating to “avoid all travel” regarding the country, region or city of your destination, before the date you travel to that destination (including any stopovers, layovers or any other destinations you are transiting through), unless as specified under the Trip Interruption benefit.
16. Any eligible medical and related expenses in excess of $50,000 if you are not covered by a provincial or territorial government health insurance plan at the time of your claim.
17. Any claim incurred for travel within Canada.
18. Any claims incurred when you are denied entry into a country, region or city included in your trip when that country, region or city has restrictions or guidelines to travel to that destination and those restrictions or guidelines were in place before your departure.
19. Any claims incurred for your unused prepaid travel arrangements.
20. Any claims incurred for cruise travel.
In addition to the exclusions specified in each Insurance coverage, this Insurance does not provide payment or indemnity for expenses incurred directly or indirectly as a result of:
1. a) Applicable to Policies with Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption and Trip Interruption Only: Losses arising out of acts of war or acts of terrorism unless a formal travel advisory and/or travel warning has been issued by the Canadian government after the date the trip is booked or the date the insurance was purchased, whichever occurs later.
b) Applicable to all other plans: Your participation in and/or voluntary exposure to acts of war or acts of terrorism.
2. Death, disablement or injury in any way caused by or contributed by radioactive contamination or by the utilization of nuclear, chemical or biological weapons (whether or not caused by acts of war or acts of terrorism).
3. Your suicide or attempt thereat, self-inflicted injury.
4. Your commission or attempted commission of any crime or offence, based on the law where the cause of the claim occurred.
5. a) Routine pre-natal care;
b) Voluntary termination of pregnancy or resulting complications;
c) Complications related to pregnancy within the nine weeks immediately before the expected delivery date (including the expected delivery date) or the nine weeks after the actual delivery date (including the actual delivery date);
d) Complication related to childbirth within the nine weeks immediately before the expected delivery date (including the expected delivery date) or the nine weeks after the actual delivery date (including the actual delivery date);
e) Childbirth within the nine weeks immediately before the expected delivery date (including the expected delivery date) or the nine weeks after the actual delivery date (including the actual delivery date); or
f) Medical treatment incurred by a newborn child following an unexpected birth during your trip.
6. Any medical condition or recognized complication of a condition, where the purpose of your trip is to seek medical treatment, advice or services, and where the medical evidence indicates the medical treatment, advice or services received are related to that condition.
7. Your coaching, teaching, participating, practicing or training for out-of-bounds skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, or non-motorized snow-biking.
8. Psychological disorders, emotional or mental disorders. Acute psychosis is not excluded unless drug, alcohol or medication induced. (Emotional or mental disorder means an emotional upset or condition, state of anxiety, situational crisis, anxiety or panic attack, or other mental health disorders).
9. Ongoing care, rehabilitation or check-ups.
10. Medical treatment, services or supplies provided in a chronic care facility of a hospital or convalescent or nursing home, health spa, or rehabilitation centre.
11. Elective (non-emergency) treatment or surgery.
12. Emergency Air Transportation unless pre-approved and arranged by Claims at TuGo.
13. Any sickness, injury or death that could reasonably be contributed to or caused by your:
a) Intoxication from alcohol consumption (alcohol intoxication is determined either when records indicate that you have reached or exceeded a blood alcohol level of 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood or when records indicate that you were intoxicated and no blood alcohol level is specified); or,
b) Abuse of alcohol or misuse of prescription drugs, over the counter medication or other intoxicants, either before or during your trip; or,
c) Consumption or use of illegal or controlled drugs (based on the law where the cause of the claim occurred).
14. Expenses incurred as a result of your failure to accept or follow the physician’s advice, treatment or recommended treatment.
15. Unless otherwise stated in this Policy, expenses incurred if other insurance policies, plans or contracts, including any private or provincial automobile insurance, cover the loss. If, however, the loss exceeds the limits of the other policies, plans or contracts and if this Insurance covers losses and periods not covered by those other policies, plans or contracts, this Insurance shall then apply in excess of all other valid insurance. This exclusion does not apply to Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance.
16. Any cancer (other than basal cell or squamous cell skin cancer) for which you received or were recommended to receive cancer treatment in the 3 months prior to the date you leave for your trip. This includes cancer treatment that you were recommended to receive but chose to decline.
Applicable to Insureds 60 Years and Over If you qualify for the coverage selected but you or a representative purchasing insurance on your behalf have failed to answer truthfully and accurately any question asked in the Medical Health Questionnaire, any claim will be subject to an extra deductible of $15,000 USD in addition to any other applicable deductible amount, and no future coverage will be provided under this Policy unless you pay the additional premium reflecting true and accurate answers to those questions.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The product-related information on this website is for illustration purposes only. For complete benefits, terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions, please see the policy booklet at the download section below. Please read and understand your policy before you travel.
TuGo Travel Insurance POLICY PDF
TuGo is a trademark used by North American Air Travel Insurance Agents Ltd. dba TuGo and its related companies under license.