Administrated by: Allianz Global Assistance (AGA)
Underwritten by: CUMIS General Insurance Company, a member of The Co-operators group of companies.
24 hours Emergency Assistance Center: AGA Emergency Assistance.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The COVID-19 Insurance and Assistance Plan does not cover everything. All claims will be reviewed on an individual basis, and will remain subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions of the policy. For complete terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions, please refer to the policy.
NOTE: Medical emergencies UNRELATED to COVID-19 are NOT covered under this plan. For protection against other medical emergencies, travellers should purchase an Emergency Hospital & Medical or All-inclusive plan. The Allianz COVID-19 Insurance & Assistance Plan can be combined with ANY travel insurance plan that excludes COVID-19 coverage.
This coverage is NOT available for CRUISES or any destination included in your cruise itinerary.
Travel to destinations that have a Level 3 advisory (Avoid non-essential travel) in place on date of departure are eligible for coverage. Destinations with a Level 4 advisory (Avoid all travel) and all cruise travel are NOT eligible.
COVID-19 Emergency Hospital & Medical Insurance Coverage
- Maximum Benefits: $1,000,000
- Emergency Treatment: Medical expenses up to the maximum benefit related to the treatment of COVID-19 after receiving a positive COVID-19 test and $500 for out-of-pocket expenses:
a) hospital accommodation, including private or semi-private room;
b) reasonable and customary services and supplies for your care that are medically necessary, meaning the services or supplies provided by a hospital, physician, or other licensed provider that are required to treat COVID-19 and that the insurer determines are:
• consistent with the treatment of COVID-19;
• appropriate with regard to standards of good medical practice;
• the most appropriate supply or level of service that can be safely provided to you.
c) drugs or medications prescribed by a physician;
d) services of a legally licensed physician or registered nurse;
e) outpatient services including lab tests and X-ray examinations as ordered by a physician; and
f) out-of-pocket expenses up to a combined maximum of $500 if you are hospitalized:
• childcare costs for travel companions under age 18 or physically or mentally handicapped and reliant on you for assistance;
• essential telephone calls;
• in-hospital television rental and internet usage fees; and
• ride-hailing fares including, but not limited to, a taxi or an Uber.
- Transportation: Up to the maximum benefit for expenses incurred for transportation to the nearest appropriate medical facility or to a Canadian hospital if an insured tests positive for COVID-19 while on their trip including, but not limited to, air ambulance, one-way airfare, stretcher, and/or a medical attendant.*
- Return of Travel Companion: If you are quarantined, hospitalized or returned to Canada under the Transportation Benefit due to COVID-19, the insurer agrees to pay the extra cost of a one-way economy class airfare up to the maximum benefit to return your dependent children and one (1) travel companion to their home if your quarantine, hospitalization or repatriation takes place more than twenty-four (24) hours before the originally planned return date. If required, the insurer agrees to pay the cost of an attendant’s (not related to you by blood or marriage) return economy class airfare to travel with your dependent children to their home.* - Expenses in the Event of Your Death: If you pass away from COVID-19 during your trip, the insurer agrees to cover up to $5,000 for the preparation (including cremation) and transportation of your remains to your province or territory of residence. In addition, if local authorities legally require the attendance of your family member or close friend to identify your remains, the insurer agrees to pay up to a combined maximum of $1,500 for their:
• return economy airfare via the most cost-effective route; and
• meals and commercial accommodation.
COVID-19 Trip Interruption Insurance Coverage
- Quarantine Meals & Accommodation: Up to $150 per person, per day to a maximum of $2,100 per person for meals and approved commercial accommodation if you are placed in individual quarantine during your trip due to your positive COVID-19 test result while on the trip. The maximum benefit is limited to the lesser of the number of days required by a physician, or the benefit maximum.
- Denied Boarding: If you are denied boarding on a common carrier on your return trip because of your COVID-19 screening, the insurer agrees to pay up to $300 for meals and approved commercial accommodation. In the event a dependent child covered under your policy is denied boarding, this benefit will extend to one (1) accompanying family member. Your coverage will be extended as described in “Denied Boarding” under the “Automatic Extension of Coverage” section below. This does not include your refusal or failure to comply with rules and requirements to travel or of entry to, your destination.
NOTE: For the Non-USA Plan, coverage is worldwide outside of Canada; however, coverage within the USA is limited to two (2) days while in transit. For the USA Plan, coverage is worldwide outside of Canada.
* Must be pre-approved and arranged by Allianz Global Assistance.
To be eligible for this coverage you must meet the following conditions on the effective date of your policy:
a) be a Canadian resident, meaning a person legally authorized to reside in Canada and who maintains a permanent residence in Canada to which they will return after their trip;
b) be at least 15 days old;
c) be insured by a Canadian provincial government health insurance plan for the duration of the trip; and
d) must have purchased policy prior to departing on trip or, if purchasing an extension, prior to the expiry date of your COVID-19 policy.
The only pre-existing condition that applies to the COVID-19 Insurance and Assistance Plan is specific to positive COVID-19 results prior to travel.
Benefits are not payable for any costs incurred due to, contributed to by, or resulting from:
- any medical condition other than COVID-19.
- any positive COVID-19 test if you undertook your trip with the prior knowledge that treatment, palliative care or alternative therapy of any kind would be required.
- any signs or symptoms, meaning any evidence of COVID-19 experienced by you or recognized through observation, of COVID-19 within fourteen (14) days immediately before your effective date.
- if you have tested positive for COVID-19 prior to your trip and have not subsequently tested negative for COVID-19 before your effective date.
You can extend your coverage before you leave your province or territory of residence. If you decide to apply for additional coverage after you have left your province or territory of residence, you may apply for a new term of coverage if you:
a) purchase additional coverage prior to the expiry date; and
b) are in good health; and
c) have no reason to seek medical consultation during the new term of coverage.
If you have incurred a claim, Allianz Global Assistance will review your file before deciding on granting an extension. Each policy or term of coverage is considered a separate contract and all limitations and exclusions will apply. Allianz Global Assistance reserves the right to decline any request for new terms of coverage
Automatic Extension of Coverage
If you cannot return home as originally scheduled, coverage may be extended under the following circumstances:
a) Quarantine: If you cannot travel on the scheduled return date due to a positive COVID-19 test, coverage will be automatically extended until the maximum benefit of fourteen (14) days is reached. Costs for rescheduled transportation are not included in this coverage.
b) Hospitalization: If you are hospitalized as a result of COVID-19 during the trip, coverage will be automatically extended during the period of hospital confinement, plus five (5) days after release to travel home.
c) Common Carrier Delay: If the common carrier in which you are riding or are scheduled to ride as a passenger is delayed due to circumstances beyond your control, coverage will be automatically extended for up to seventy-two (72) hours.
d) Denied Boarding: If you are denied boarding on a common carrier due to a COVID-19 screening, coverage will be automatically extended for up to seventy-two (72) hours.
A refund will be provided if you:
a) cancel your policy prior to departing on your trip; or
b) you return to your province or territory of residence before the expiry date of your policy and a claim has not been incurred (partial refund).
When submitting your premium refund request, please include:
1. a fully completed and signed Refund Request Form; and
2. a copy of your Confirmation of Coverage; and
3. any other documentation to support your refund request.
Important Note: There will be no refund of premium if a claim has been made. Refunds for partial cancellations will be calculated by multiplying the daily premium by the actual number of days you were out of country; if this amount is less than the minimum premium of $10 required for the plan purchased, the minimum premium will be used. This amount is then subtracted from the total premium paid. The refund will be calculated based on the date the refund request is received by Allianz Global Assistance.
In the event of a medical emergency, AGA must be notified within 24 hours of admission to hospital and before any surgery is performed. The Emergency Assistance Centre is available 24 hours per day, 7 days a week Toll-free Canada/USA: 1-800-995-1662 or Toll-free worldwide: 00-800-842-08420, or 416-340-0049 (collect).
If you fail to notify AGA without reasonable cause, then AGA will pay 80% of the claim payable. You will be responsible for the remaining 20% of the claim payable.
SEND YOUR CLAIMS TO:
Allianz Global Assistance Claims Department
P.O. Box 277, Waterloo, ON, N2J 4A4
Collect worldwide: 416-340-8809 Toll-free Canada/USA: 1-800-869-6747
For Online Claim Submission visit: www.allianzassistanceclaims.ca
COV1 Benefits are not payable for costs incurred during your trip if you have tested positive for COVID-19 prior to your trip and have not subsequently tested negative for COVID-19 before your effective date.
COV2 Benefits are not payable for costs incurred due to, contributed by, or resulting from any signs or symptoms, meaning any evidence of COVID-19 experienced by you or recognized through observation, of COVID-19 within fourteen (14) days immediately before your effective date.
COV3 Benefits are not payable for costs incurred due to, contributed by, or resulting from any medical condition other than COVID-19.
COV4 Benefits are not payable for any costs incurred due to, contributed to by, or resulting from any positive COVID-19 test if you undertook your trip with the prior knowledge that treatment, palliative care or alternative therapy of any kind would be required.
COV5 Benefits are not payable for costs incurred due to, contributed to by, or resulting from a trip commenced or continued against the advice of your physician.
COV6 Benefits are not payable for costs incurred due to, contributed to by, or resulting from continued treatment for, recurrence of, or complication of COVID-19 after being declared medically fit to travel back to Canada.
COV7 Benefits are not payable for costs or losses incurred due to, contributed to by, or resulting from: intentional self-injury; or suicide or attempted suicide.
COV8 Benefits are not payable for any costs incurred due to, contributed to by, or resulting from
• abuse of any medication or non-compliance with prescribed medical treatment or therapy, or
• drugs or medications commonly available without a prescription; or
• drugs or medications which are not legally registered and approved in Canada.
COV9 Benefits are not payable for costs incurred due to, contributed to by, or resulting from any sickness or injury occurring while you are under the influence of illicit drugs, or alcohol (where the concentration of alcohol in your blood exceeds 80 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood or when you illustrate a visible impairment due to alcohol or illicit drugs) or any other intoxicant, and any chronic sickness or hospitalization related to, or exacerbated by, the habitual use of alcohol or illicit drugs.
COV10 Benefits are not payable for costs incurred due to, contributed to by, or resulting from any injury.
COV11 Benefits are not payable for costs incurred in a country, region or city during your trip if, before your effective date, a Level 4 travel advisory was issued by the Canadian Government for COVID-19, advising Canadians to avoid all travel to that country, region, or city.
COV12 Benefits are not payable for any costs incurred due to, contributed to by, or resulting from any positive COVID-19 test while on a cruise or in any destination included in your cruise itinerary.
COV13 Benefits are not payable for costs incurred due to, contributed to by, or resulting from you exposing yourself to risk from or participation in any riot or civil disorder, committing or attempting to commit a criminal offence, act of war, rebellion or revolution, act of terrorism, or service in the armed forces.
Act of terrorism means an act, including but not limited to hijacking, the use of force or violence or the threat thereof or commission or threat of a dangerous act, of any person or group(s) or government(s), committed for political, religious, ideological, social, economic or similar purposes including the intention to intimidate, coerce or overthrow a government (whether de facto or de jure) or to influence, affect or protest against any government or to put the civilian population, or any section of the civilian population, in fear.
Act of war means any loss or damage arising directly or indirectly from, occasioned by, happening through or in the consequence of: war; invasion; acts of foreign enemies; hostilities or warlike operations (whether war is declared or not) by any government or sovereign, using military personnel or other agents; civil war; rebellion; revolution; insurrection; civil commotion assuming the proportions of or amounting to an uprising; military or usurped power.
COV14 Benefits are not payable for costs or losses incurred due to, contributed by, or resulting from nuclear reaction/radiation, nuclear, chemical or biological occurrence, however caused; or radioactive seepage, pollution or contamination.
Nuclear, chemical or biological means the use of any nuclear weapon or device or the emission, discharge, dispersal, release or escape of any solid, liquid or gaseous chemical agent or biological agent, including the resultant contamination where:
• Nuclear means any occurrence causing bodily injury, sickness, disease, or death, or loss of or damage to property, or for loss of use of property, arising out of or resulting from the radioactive, toxic, explosive, or other hazardous properties of source, special nuclear, or by-product material.
• Chemical agent means any compound which, when suitably disseminated, produces incapacitating, damaging or lethal effects on people, animals, plants or material property.
• Biological agent means any pathogenic (disease producing) micro-organism(s) and/or biologically produced toxin(s) (including genetically modified organisms and chemically synthesized toxins) used as a weapon to cause illness and/or death in humans, animals or plants.
Misrepresentation or Nondisclosure:
Your failure to disclose or misrepresentation of any material fact, or fraud, either at the time of application or at the time of claim, shall render the entire contract null at the option of the insurer, and any claim submitted thereunder shall not be payable.
Where there is an error as to your age, provided that your age is within the insurable limits of this policy, the premiums will be adjusted according to your correct age.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The product-related information on this website is for illustration purposes only. For complete benefits, terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions, please see the policy booklet at the download section below. Please read and understand your policy before you travel.
Allianz COVID-19 Travel Insurance POLICY PDF
Allianz Travel Insurance CLAIM FORM PDF